Friday, January 16, 2009

Blog Assignment #2

1. Were the questions on the Moral Sense Test difficult to answer (psychologically, emotionally, conceptually, technically, etc.)? Why or why not? Do you think your responses to the Moral Sense Test questions were consistent? Does this matter?

I felt that the questions that were on the Moral test were not really too hard to answer. I felt that there was a few that actually made you think about the situation as if you were really in it, but I feel that is what the test is supposed to do. While answering the morality test I did notice that after a few of the series of questions that all of my answers are the same. I kept hitting the same number for each question and then when the question would change I would see pattern’s in my answers. I think it does matter when answering these questions because it shows if you are consistent in your morals.

2. Should people always follow the law? Why or why not? When might one be justified in NOT following the law? Give examples.

No I do not think that people should always follow the law. There are some laws that are ridiculous and do not need to be followed 100% of the time. There are a lot of laws that were made so long ago that they really don’t even apply to our lives this day in age. If the speed limit is 35 mph and everyone on the road is going 50 mph you would get ran over if you went 35 mph. So in that case you had better go at least 40 mph, which would be breaking the law.

3. In your own words, explain what "social convention" means. Give examples.

I feel that a social convention might be a large gathering of people that all have something in common. There might be a common thread of cars, and people have come together to talk about and explore the world of cars in a social atmosphere. There might be a social convention that is based around a book. There is sure to be a lot of people that have read the same book, so I’m sure that people get together to read them allowed to each other and discuss what each chapter means to them.


4. Should people always follow the conventions of their society? Why or why not? Give examples.

Well the last question was answered in a totally different context than what was implied. This question helps me understand the third question better. I feel you do not need to follow the “conventions” of your society. If everyone followed each others ideas then we would all look alike and nothing new would happen. I think life would be quite boring if there was nobody to stand out and do different things.

5. Should people always follow their own principles? Why or why not? Give examples.

Yes I feel that if you have gone as far as to set principles for your self, then you are truly only hurting yourself if you choose to break them. Personal principles are meant to make your life run better. If you do not like it when people do something, and you allow it to happen in front of you, then you might as well never decided that you wouldn’t let that happen. You have to follow your own principles or you’re basically wasting your time.

6. Explain in your own words the difference between socially acceptable, legally acceptable, and morally acceptable.

Socially acceptable is something that is accepted by the masses. It might not be legal or moral but there will be a lot of people that agree with it. Legally acceptable goes along with the Laws. If there is a law written you can not break it, end of story. Morally acceptable is based on what you have set your morals to, and weather or not your can stick to them or not.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.

I feel that I deserve at least 23 ½ pts. I answered each question with a few examples, and I filled up a page and a half, which is more then last time!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment