Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WEEK 3 BLOG POST

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.

According to the book by Weston’s, “to give an argument”, it means, “to offer a set of reasons or evidence in support of a conclusion.” He goes on to explain how arguing is making a point with actual evidential claims to back the point up. The author also goes on to say how we need arguments and they are a necessity.

2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”?

Essentially Weston says that arguing is essential because, without it we would not be able to find out which views are best. He says, “Arguments are in this sense a means of inquiry.” This is a pretty cool way to put it, for some reason I understood his point of view better when I read this. Arguing is a good way to defend what ever view we have come to a conclusion upon. Weston shows that there are a lot of different use’s for arguing.


3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.

Students tend to write an essay, but not an argument because they do not look at the topic of their paper hard enough. He explains how it is natural for a student to make this mistake of writing an essay, not an argument. They do not try to find out what they think for themselves instead of basic clear cut answers. Weston talks about how you should use arguments in two different ways, in inquiry and in defending a view.


4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".

FOR

Arguable issue: whether or not people should smoke in a bar.
Conclusion: People should not be able to smoke in a bar.
Premises: People should not be able to smoke in a bar because:

(1) People who do not smoke get affected by 2nd hand smoke.
(2) Smoking indoors concentrates the smoke inhalation, making it even worse then normal.

AGAINST
Arguable issue: whether or not people should smoke in a bar.
Conclusion: People should be able to smoke in a bar.
Premises: People should be able to smoke in a bar because:

(1) Why respect other people’s health.
(2) The more smoke you inhale the better you feel, so why not do it inside so it can’t escape.


5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above.

I feel that I am clearly expressing what I’m trying to prove in my argument, while naturally going in order to help making the argument clear. Starting with an issue regarding smoking health problems is a very reliable one because people are familiar with this topic. The conclusion and premise are very clear cut and to the point. I use very basic language in my argument outline. The arguable issue, conclusion, and premise are basically the same sentence with a few key words mixed around. I did stick to one meaning or each term for the outline.

6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.

The first is talking about being specific with your argument, which I took into consideration when coming up with my own argument. I feel that smoking effects others health all the time, but more specifically while were in doors w/ non smokers. The second definition talks about when terms are being contested and what exactly you are arguing about. But I did not really use this definition because I did not really understand it. The last definition is perhaps my favorite of the three because it explained a lot to me. I re looked at my argument and decided that I was not clear enough in a few of my word choices. I actually looked at what I had said and thought of the different definitions of each of the words and realized they could be taken differently, so I changed the words.

7. Reasoning for grade:

I feel like I deserve 22 points for this week’s assignment. I feel this way because I did not understand a few of the definitions completely so I did not feel I was able to use them while coming up with my argument which might have made it weaker.

1 comment:

  1. WKC-

    Nice work; thorough, and your argument concerned a timely issue.

    I think you were trying to be fun in your argument "against", lol, which is not a bad thing--having fun with this stuff is something I highly recommend. What other reasons do you think people might give, though, especially those people who really do believe smoking indoors should not be banned? You don't have to answer my challenging question, unless you want to. At the very least, it's food for thought. :) KJP

    ReplyDelete